Before this, entries in this blog and even comments can only be written in English. Yes, sometimes it pains me to know that I can’t type certain words in chinese characters on danielctw.com due to the limitations.
Yes, when I was reviewing a song title by Jolin Tsai, I wanted to type in Chinese but due to the character encoding, I went and search for the solution to this. I have received emails from readers who wanted to write something in Chinese or Japanese character comments that they don’t have the means to do that. Yes, it was after I upgraded to WordPress 2.2 from 2.1 that I faced this problem.
Anyway I am going to share with you guys how to incorporate chinese, japanese or even korean input that can be displayed on your wordpress blogs.
Using the UTF-8 Database Converter, instead of manually changing it from the php itself, this is one of the easiest and fastest way to handle. Steps are simple.
Attention: This plugin it only can be used and activated by the ‘blog owner’ or any user with level 10.
1. Open the file `wp-config.php` set `DB_CHARSET` to `utf8` and leave `DB_COLLATE` with nothing. (Just for WordPress 2.2.x)
2. Upload `UTF8_DB_Converter.php` to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory.
3. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
4. Go to the sub menu called ‘UTF-8 Database Converter’.
5. And just follow the instructions on the screen.
Now steps are laid out pretty easy.
For testing purposes here are the numbers 1 to 10 written in Chinese.
一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十 – yi er san si wu liu qi ba jiu shi
わたし は ダニエル です!! – watashi wa danieru desu